Thursday, December 10, 2009

ONLY IN NEW YORK.

Last night I met up with a friend from San Francisco who has recently relocated to Brooklyn. I was pretty exhausted, as it has been a little nutty lately with work, a friend in the hospital, auditions, band practice, and getting ready to go back to CA, but we had a great time catching up. It was crazy to think about when I first moved here, all the things that were swarming around in my head upon arrival, and how completely excited I was. A little over a year later, I still am so happy to be here...And now we can add this to list of why:

We left the bar and were walking back to the train when all of the sudden I saw a tall, skinny, very familiar looking gentleman standing outside a bar smoking a cigarette.


Insert squeal here.
And, of course, me being me, I walked right up to him and told him that I absolutely loved his music. In his charming little drawl, he thanked me and then said that he was playing a show inside in 10 minutes for free if I would like to go.

WOULD I LIKE TO GO SEE A GENIUS PLAY FOR FREE?

You know the answer. I proceeded to march right inside and called Sanchez who introduced me to JTE in the first place. Then, I was treated to an amazing show of Justin and his guitar for about 40 minutes and he blew my mind. There were only about 40 people in the entire place and it was, well, incredible.

Didn’t make it to bed until about 1:00am and my eyes are beyond bleary today, but it was so, so, so worth it.

I have seen famous people, I have talked to famous people, I’m famous (in my own mind and I’m really big in Japan) and I don’t get weird. But this time, I must admit that I got a little weird. My brain kept going, “Oh my. Oh my. Oooooooh myyyyyyyyyyy waaaaahahahaaa.” The only other time this has happened to me was when I saw the brilliant author, Anne Lamott, walking across the street in San Francisco and I almost ran her over because I was driving, she was walking, and I couldn’t stop staring at her.

Oh, and he’s my neighbor and I invited him to my band’s show on Monday.

I am a grade-A loser.


4 comments:

Coogs said...

Great story. But I am sorry to hear he is a smoker.

Anonymous said...

Ok, you had a very different reaction to this guy smoking a cigarette than the gal outside the hospital. Granted he was outside a bar and I assume, not accompanied by a 5 year old-and apparently now clean and sober which gets big praise. Listened to some of his stuff because you know how much I love country(sorry Sanchez) and he is very talented. Your fan confidence factor has come a long way since your Fresh Choice Beach Blanket Babylon star sighting dilemma.

MAC said...

True. I really should blog about my BBB encounter. That was also epic.

Anonymous said...

You Brownies (and cohorts, siblings, etc.) keep me so entertained. thank you, thank you, thank you.