Friday, April 3, 2009

TODAY I'M JAMAICAN.

It is raining today, which means I can't really leave the house.

If I do, my pants or socks might get wet, I will get very sleepy and cranky, and will end up walking straight into a movie theatre or place that sells freshly baked goods and hot beverages. It is much better for everyone that I stay home, write, nap, drink tea and watch movies I already have. And, my rehearsal tonight is taking place right here in my very own apartment. Maaaaagic.

When I lived in Jamaica, one of my most favorite things was how the world stopped when it rained, especially when it poured first thing in the morning. People would sleep in, putter around until it let up, and then venture out to begin the day, even if that was at 2:00pm. If it was REALLY rainy, sometimes stuff would just shut down all together. It was glorious and it was the only time the buses weren't crowded to the p0int where your face was squished between a big Jamaican mama's ta-tas. In Kingston, my white friend Lauren who grew up in Westchester once slipped on the bus and landed pancake style, spread out like a star fish, with her face smack in the middle of a 55 year old, 300 pound Jamaican woman's cleavage. It took about 10 seconds for her to extract her visage from the lady's solar system sized bosom.

I still laugh out loud when I think of that.

Anyways, today is in dramatic contrast to my spring yesterday. And, unfortunately, I just realized I do have to leave my apartment for a few brief errands at some point today. They are all within a 4 block radius of my apartment and one of those errands involves the art store, which is busting with potential rainy day activities.

Stay dry. Don't go to work. And if you have to, just take a nap under your desk. I used to do it all the time when I worked in an office.


No comments: