Tuesday, June 2, 2009

HOT MESS RAIN.


Today it was the kind of rain that made me feel like I was back in Jamaica a little bit. It was humid and of course the rain started coming down just as I was getting off of the subway...

And, I didn't have an umbrella.

Instead of getting all pissy and running to my apartment cursing the planet, I decided to make like an islander and just wait it out. In Kingston, if it is really rainy, people just stay home in bed a little bit longer, or go sit in a shop and wait it out regardless of if they are going to be late. It doesn't matter. It's raining! The streets just empty out and everyone hangs around together until it stops.

I kind of enjoyed standing there under the awning. It was the first time I had stopped moving all day (mentally) and it felt nice to just watch. I looked at all the silly people running around, looking like wet dogs, and was glad I wasn't one of them. Some hilarious guy a few folks down from me was feeling my groove. His phone rang, he picked it up, and the conversation was as follows:

"YO! WAZZUP!?!?
I CAN'T DO ANYTHING BECAUSE IT'S RAINING.
PEACE."



No comments: