Sunday, August 2, 2009

MORE DEETS.

Here's the info, Yo Mama:

I will be performing in the New Works Festival at TheatreWorks in California. They put on phenomenal shows and are also very dedicated to staging new plays and musicals, a risk most rep theatres are not willing to take.

If you are going to be in the area and want to see my show, shoot me an email and I will send you the details of when my performances are. I just read the script and I think this one is extremely interesting and unique. And I reallllly like my character...ooh I'm excited.

The way these festivals work is that the playwright is there making changes the entire time. You have a few days of rehearsals, you often are getting new pages at the beginning of the day, after lunch, and sometimes right before the show starts. Then you have a performance, a few more days of rehearsals follow where even more changes are made to the script, and then another performance. It is a priceless opportunity for a playwright to be able to hear their piece in front of an audience, receive feedback from the actors and directors, and figure out what works and what doesn't. Working on new plays and musicals is, quite possibly, my most favorite thing to do in the theatre. There is nothing like being a part of something that has literally never been done before. And, it is so cool to see a playwright and the script change and grow along with you. It is invigorating!

I am also going to be taking part in their Young Playwrights Festival. During the school year, TheatreWorks sends a playwright into a local high school every semester to teach a playwrighting class. The students work on writing their own one acts and at the end of the term, 5 of the best ones are selected and performed at TheatreWorks. They hire Equity Actors and directors, there's a full day of rehearsals from 9am-6pm and then a performance of their pieces that evening. It is so much fun; the students are so excited and it is wonderful to see the incredible writing that comes out of such young kids.

2009 marks the 10th anniversary of this program, so they are doing a "Best of Fest" where they are show casing some of the best plays from the previous 10 years. That's where I come in! A few of the ones I performed in a couple of years ago are in it. So, we will have one full day of rehearsals, tech the next morning, and then one big performance in the evening.

I can't wait to see the students who wrote these and find out where they are now and what they're up to...


No comments: